Wednesday, July 15, 2015

This Post Brought to You By the Number 4

So... it seems that number 4 is lucky for me at the moment.

Meredith and I headed down to the MABRA Criterium Championships in Frederick a couple of weekends back.  First of all, it was so nice to see the southern gals again after a season of racing up here in the north.  The women of ABRT are so strong and so lovely - I just have the best time racing and hanging with them.  And, the field down there was such a nice size - with the 1/2 and 3 race on course at the same time, we had over 30 women vying for the win.

Meredith and I had a good plan - we knew who to watch and we knew what we wanted to do.  We launched a few attacks, we covered moves off the front, and then... when nothing seemed likely to stick, we found good wheels for the finish.

ABRT was, of course, highly active throughout the race... particularly attentive to NCVC rider Alexis Zink and a few others.  With about 2 to go, ABRT began to string it out and I moved onto the very familiar wheel of BChan!  Following her through the final corner right at the front, I heard a crash behind and just gunned it for the line.  I ended up crossing in 4th and was really happy with that!


This past weekend, I went out to the Oldmans Time Trial in South Jersey.  With my modified Amira and my Zipp wheels, I was feeling pretty fast and managed to finish 2nd to Lauren Dags in the Women's Open.  

Then, we headed up to Basking Ridge for the NJ State Crit Championships.  The course was... strange.  It's a big oval with a screaming descent and a big ring hill.  Things were going ok for the first 20 minutes or so, and then we had a rather nasty crash in our race.  It was on the downhill section, so speeds were high.  I was near the front, so I have no idea how it happened, just that I heard it and could tell that it was a hard crash.  In the end, four riders went off to hospital and while all are ok - they have some major healing to do.  I hope that all of them heal up fast and well... gentle hugs and lots of love, ladies!

After some hemming and hawing, we decided to restart the race with a truncated distance and a smaller field.  It was so hard to get the legs back in the game, not to mention my brain - which was pretty distracted.  But, we did and with 1.5 to go, Masha attacked and got a bit of a gap.  Emily Spence, Lauren, Amy Cutler and I chased and with about .5 lap to go, Amy jumped to finish closing the gap.  She caught Masha before the line, and I came in just behind Lauren for 4th.  

Up next, the girls head to the Tour de Fish in big numbers!  This race is fantastically fun, technical, and fast.  CAWES is helping to support the race by providing merchandise and dollar prizes for the women's race.  Come on out, race it, watch it, drink some beer, have some fun - BIKES!!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear a perfect fun and enjoyable event that was. Hope long last this event!

    ReplyDelete