Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Getting to Know Us...

Since we're such an enigmatic bunch, we thought we'd give you a little insight into our riders.  Editor's additions are in green!

So, we'll start off alphabetically with the oh-so powerful Beth Bonilla!!

photo credit: Sara Brams-Miller

Nickname: Beth (of course!)

Hometown: Great Falls, MT - Big Sky Country, kids... waaaay over there on the other side of the nation.  It kinda looks like this:


Profession (other than pro bike racer chick)?  Mechanical engineer.  Translation: smarty pants.

What first drew you to race your bike?  A friend, who was a semi-pro cyclist said he thought I'd be good at it.  (We'd say he was quite right!)

photo credit: Will Rivas

What motivates you to get on your bike each day?  Different things... sometimes it's a way to enjoy the sunshine or just be outside.  Sometimes it's for the companionship.  Sometimes for the feeling after a difficult ride of knowing I pushed myself as hard as I could.  Sometimes so I can race better, sometimes to maintain a healthy body weight, and sometimes I ride because it's fun to go fast!

What is your favorite cycling related word?  Cadence (it just sounds cool)

What is your least favorite cycling related word?  Crash

What is your racing style?  Breakaway or readout rider, but hard, fast crits are fun, too!

What profession, other than your own, would you like to attempt?  Restaurant business.  I haven't decided if I would focus on fresh, healthy meals that make people feel good, or desserts that make people happy.  I love both kinds of food!

If you had a super power, what would it be and why?  Flying, because flying dreams are my favorite!

Hit shuffle on your music playlist... what are the first three songs that play?  "Dear John" by Taylor Swift, "Swingtown" by the Steve Miller Band, and "O Come and Mourn with Me Awhile" by Jars of Clay.

Proudest Cycling Moment: The first time I finished the Wilmington Grand Prix Pro Race with the field.  It was my second year doing the race, and I've never been happier with 18th place!

Most Embarrassing Cycling Moments:  At one of my first road races in Lancaster, I broke away from the field and thought I'd won. However, I hadn't paid enough attention early in the race, and another rider had gotten away before I did.  After the race, my husband gently pointed out that if the lead car is not in front of you, you're not leading!

photo credit: Sara Brams-Miller

Goals for 2015: Race hard and smart, and have fun with my new teammates!

We are so excited to have Beth on board for 2015... she's had a great start to the season winning the Doleur en la Cul Circuit race with a solo break, taking 2nd at the Upper Freehold Time Trial, and finishing top 10 in the NJ State Road Race and the Historic Riverton Criterium.  


No comments:

Post a Comment